Tag Archives: cancelled

Monday Kpop Update | Jellyfish Entertainment Statement on Leo and Ravi + BIGBANG Guerrilla Concert Cancelled, YG Statement + Jessica SBS Appearance Cancelled, SBS Statement

So this post is going to kinda be a kpop music update post. I had a post with way more information but of course WordPress automatically saves every few seconds and when the entire post got deleted, I lost everything soooooooooooooooooooooooo… let’s just get straight into the news.

No videos today but check back Wednesday!


With all the new music announcements and comeback news for the summer, the most exciting part is the concerts! Fans of VIXX were super excited, as they have been on tour this whole time… new music and concerts, VIXX is on a roll! But then in Mexico it was reported that Ravi collapsed and Leo was missing from the finale. Despite the reassurance from N that both parties were doing ok, fans were still worried.

Now today, Jellyfish Entertainment has issued a statement.

“The venue location’s high altitude and the heat of the performance hall caused [Ravi and Leo] to be dizzy and they could no longer continue [performing] on stage. Leo and Ravi received emergency medical treatment from the team that were standing by at the venue and are in the process of recuperating.”

(source: allkpop)

I’m sure the travelling hasn’t been much help either in terms of getting rest and staying healthy. However, it is good to know that they’re doing fine!


In other concert news, YG announced that BIGBANG’s guerrilla concert was not going to happen like expected. It was said about a week ago that BIGBANG would be performing a surprise pop-up concert. And now today YG said, in true YG fashion, “the show is cancelled”. But they later released a statement saying that they are working on something better.

“We want to let everyone know that we’re in the process of developing ideas so that fans can safely enjoy [Big Bang’s] ten-year anniversary.”

(source: allkpop)

I guess legions of screaming fans potentially causing a stampede in the middle of the street didn’t seem all that appealing in hindsight.

Guess we’ll just have to wait and see what they come up with!


And finally, Jessica has been sparking waves, good and bad lately. After releasing her first solo album since leaving SM Entertainment, fans were ready for her to begin music promotions. It was later reported that she wouldn’t be doing too much of that. After all, she is running a fashion line simultaneously with making music.

But then it was announced that even more of her appearances were either going to be cut short, or not happening. Like her now cancelled appearance on SBS’s Lee Kuk Ju’s Young Street.

“Jessica’s reps have said, “[Her appearance] was decided upon last Wednesday, and then her scheduled appearance was cancelled on the weekend. We haven’t heard the exact reason for the cancellation. She is very disappointed because she had been preparing to perform live…According to SBS, the radio show had first secured Jo Moon Geun Band as a guest on the show for the episode, and then invited Jessica… SBS states, “After some internal discussion, we decided to invite her to appear on her own next time instead, and asked Jessica’s representatives for their understanding.”

(source: soompi)

Looks like a serious misunderstanding there. Even though this isn’t the first time they seem to have had a misunderstanding with Jessica’s team, i.e., Inkigayo name removal incident, they are doing their best to make amends.

However, she will be appearing on another show, Park So Hyun’s Love Game May 28th.

 

Advertisements

Mnet’s Unpretty Rapstar Pulled Off the Air

Yes, you read that correctly.

Apparently, after the episodes aired and were reviewed by the Korea Communication Standards Commission, they deemed the show inappropriate due to the on-air cursing and gestures.

On May 7, a rep from the commission stated, “This program has female rappers competing against one another for a rap contest while releasing obscene gestures and soundbites that include swear words that can clearly be recognized as obscene for a long period of time,” before revealing their decision to suspend the program and their plans to take disciplinary actions against the producers behind the show.

(Click here to see the full story at allkpop.com)

I’m shocked but I’m not shocked. They gave warnings to “Show Me The Money” for the same reasons but they didn’t pull the show from the air simply because it was censored better than Unpretty Rapstar. (To be fair, Unpretty Rapstar does have a 19+ rating!)

There’s no official word on what’s going to happen to the second season of Unpretty Rapstar but I’m guessing that it can only be put on hiatus for now.

“The Interview” Pulled from Movie Theaters… Movie Release Cancelled.

I don’t know how many of you were truly anxious to go see “The Interview” but it’s not coming out anymore. The movie release was cancelled. And though I’m not surprised given the numerous threats from a group called Guardians of Peace to theaters that planned to show it, I am kinda shocked they didn’t go through with the release in a “straight to DVD” type solution. Guess they’re scraping the movie altogether?  Insert irony here that their name is Guardians of Peace and yet they’re threatening theaters if they show the movie. I kinda thought that was funny.

If you haven’t been following this saga, this is what happened. “The Interview” is basically about a two journalists who are technically hired and in on a plot to kill the North Korean leader Kim Jung Un. That’s literally the whole point of the movie. It looked kinda crazy from the previews because they were supposed to be doing it in some covert fashion but they were just kinda going about it in a ridiculous way that was meant to be hilarious. I think at one point they get caught sneaking across the North Korean border. Eh. I figured there would be some outrage but I wasn’t expecting this.

The blacklash? Well here was one of the threats:

We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places The Interview be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to. Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made. The world will be full of fear. Remember September 11th, 2001. We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time.” – (courtesy of koreaboo.com)

Annnnnnnnnd then…

Guardian of Peace managed to leak out films from Sony Pictures that had not been released yet such as Annie and Still Alice. Additionally, emails between employees were released where they slandered President Obama as well as Hollywood celebrities such as Adam Sandler and Angelina Jolie. – (courtesy of koreaboo.com)

After all of this Sony released the following statement:

We respect and understand our partners’ decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theater-goers. Sony Pictures has been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against our employees, our customers, and our business. Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material, and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale – all apparently to thwart the release of a movie they did not like. We are deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public. We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome.” – (courtesy of koreaboo.com)

So the movie won’t be shown at all. Even though previews may still be playing on television. (I saw one the other day!) But that still doesn’t rule out whether or not it’ll be a “straight to DVD” movie.

Hmm… interesting.

For more on this story, check out: Sony pulls “The Interview” release from movie theaters; U.S. says North Korea is behind the hack