Whoever searched for this and ended up here at TwentyThirdStation, I’m sorry there wasn’t a post already explaining this. I never really realized how much I used this particular phrase but never actually took the time to talk about it. I guess I just figured I’d get around to it eventually and just never did.
However! I’m “getting around to it” today! This is going to be really short because there isn’t much to explain.
Let’s get started!
근데 왜 (geunde wae) | “but why”
- form of 그런데
- be that as it may
- Also can be used to mean “what”
When to use:
- When someone asks a question
- 가게에 가니? (gage-e gani?) | “Are you going to the store?”
- 네. 왜? (Ne. Wae?) | “Yes, why?”
- 아니야. (Aniya.) | “It’s nothing.”
- 근데 왜? (geunde wae?) | “But why?”
- In daily conversation
- 근데 왜 그녀는 그렇게하니? (geunde wae geunyeoneun geuleohgehani?) | “But why would she do that?”
That’s basically all there is to it.