To end this week, I’m going to introduce a new word but I won’t give away which passive verb stem to use in the title this time. I’m going to let you guess.
잠그다 (jamgeuda) | “to lock; to fasten”
Figured it out yet? Remember the rules,
- Verbs that end in ㅎ다 like, 좋다
- 이 is added
- Verbs ending in ㄱ다, -ㄷ다 or ㅂ다
- 히 is added
- ㄱ히다, ㄷ히다 or ㅂ히다
- Verbs that end in ㄹ다
- 리 is added
- Verbs that end in ㄴ다, ㅁ다, ㅅ다 or ㅊ다
- 기 is added
- -ㄴ기다, -ㅁ기다, -ㅅ기다 or -ㅊ기다
Okay so what’s the ending? If you said 기 you’re correct! Why? Because technically this word ends in ㅁ다. You want to pay close attention to the stem of words. 그 in this word can throw you off.
Let’s look at an example!
- 방은 잠겼다. (bang-eun jamgyeoss-da.) | “The room was locked.”
- 그녀는 차를 잠겼다. (geunyeoneun chaleul jamgyeossda.) | “She locked the car.”
Alright so that’s it! Next week we will look at active verbs which are actually a lot like what you’ve been doing if you’ve been participating!
See ya next time!