We’ve gone over this a while back. But it wasn’t this word per say. We actually just talked about 말자 (malja) which is a form of this word. 말자 (malja) is more of “let’s not do something”. Today I’m going to focus just on 말다 (malda) and break it down a little better. It’ll be short today since the Grammar of the Week is today as well.
말다 (malda) [v] = “to not do something; to stop doing something”
This verb is actually an irregular verb. And it has three forms:
- Formal non polite:: 마라 (mala)/말아라 (malala)
- Informal non polite:: 마 (ma)
- Informal polite:: 마요 (mayo)/말아요 (malayo)
You’re probably more familiar with the last one since it is used fairly often.
Examples | ::Kpop Edition::
- 우리 사랑하지 말아요 (Uri saranghaji malayo). = “Let’s not fall in love” [BIGBANG]
- 사랑한다는 그 말도 잊지 말아요. (saranghandaneun geu maldo ijji malayo.) = “Don’t forget to tell me you love me.” [U Sung-Eun “마리화나 (Marihuana)”]
Ok so that’s it for today. I hope this makes a bit more sense than last time.